Try this light and refreshing bowtie pasta dish with peas and carrots.
Number of servings: 4
2 cups dry whole-wheat bowtie pasta (farfalle) (8 ounces)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 1 clove)
1 bag (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, rinsed, dried and chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 medium lemon, rinsed, for 1 teaspoon zest (use a grater to take a thin layer of skin off the lemon)
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a 4-quart saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil over high heat.
2. Add pasta, and cook according to package directions. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, heat olive oil and garlic over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Cook until soft, but not browned.
4. Add peas and carrots. Cook gently until the vegetables are heated through.
5. In a bowl, combine chicken broth and cornstarch. Mix well. Add to pan with vegetables, and bring to a boil. Simmer gently for 1 minute.
6. Add parsley, pasta, lemon zest and pepper. Toss gently, and cook until the pasta is hot.
7. Serve 2 cups of pasta and vegetables per portion.
Per serving: 329 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 127 mg sodium, 9 g fiber, 13 g protein, 59 g carbohydrates, 331 mg potassium, 220 percent vitamin A, 25 percent vitamin C, 6 percent calcium, 10 percent iron.
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and