- A large balloon
- Several newspaper pages
- Paper mache paste
- Crepe paper streamers
- Yarn or string
- Masking tape
What to Do
- Rip the newspaper into strips about one inch wide and six inches long.
- Blow up the balloon and tie it shut.
- One at a time, dip the newspaper strips into the paste. Remove any extra paste by pulling the strips through your pinched fingers.
- Spread the newspaper onto the balloon. Make the strips go in all directions, and cover the entire balloon except for a small hole where the balloon is tied.
- Let it dry.
- Add two or three more layers, repeating steps 3 – 5.
- Once it is completely dry, pop the balloon and remove it through the hole.
- Decorate your piñata with bright colors of paint, crepe paper and streamers.
- To hang your piñata, poke four small holes evenly spaced around the larger hole in the top. Thread a piece of string or yarn through each hole and tie them together at the top. Cover the holes with masking tape. Tie a longer piece of string onto these to hang up the piñata.
- Fill your piñata with small toys, candies or both and hang it up. Have fun!