These colorful kebabs are fun — and healthy — for the whole family.
Number of servings: 8 (serving size = 1 kebab)
2 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow squash
2 red or green bell peppers, seeded
2 medium red onions
16 cherry tomatoes
8 ounces fresh mushrooms
2 medium ears of sweet corn
Nonstick cooking spray
½ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon thyme
- Rinse all the vegetables. Cut zucchini, squash and bell peppers into 2-inch chunks. Cut red onions into wedges. Combine the cut vegetables with the tomatoes and mushrooms in a bowl.
- Cut the corn into 1-inch pieces and cook in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Add the cooked corn to the other vegetables.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, mustard, garlic and thyme for the sauce.
- Toss vegetables in the sauce and thread vegetables onto 8 skewers. (If you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using.)
- Before starting the grill, spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Place the skewers on the grill over medium heat. Baste occasionally with extra sauce.
- Grill for 20 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition facts (per serving): 73 calories, 1 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 107 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein, 4 g carbohydrates, 515 mg potassium.
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, https://healthyeating.nhlbi.nih.gov.