How much will it cost to pay for everything in your shopping cart? The answer is at the store checkout. Here’s how it works:
- Your family fills up the cart with the things you are going to buy.
- You hear a “beep” when the cashier scans the price for each item.
- Most items for sale have a barcode that can be scanned. A barcode is a special code with numbers inside. A computer adds up the numbers.
- If you use a coupon, that amount is subtracted from the total. That means you save money!
- If you pay with cash, the cash register opens. The cashier gives change back in dollars and coins.
- A credit or debit card can be used to pay instead of cash. The card slides through a machine and your parent may sign their name. Or, they might enter a code with four numbers (called a PIN).
- The cashier prints out a receipt that shows what you bought and how much you paid for it. Don’t forget to take your shopping bag and say “thank you!”
Be money smart and keep saving in your Navigator Credit Union savings account!